Centre of Gender Culture was created in Kharkiv in January, 2016 as an innovative center of interactive education on gender with the support of European Endowment for Democracy. www.www.genderculturecentre.org
The centre systematically works in the area of informal education on gender for adults, based on the lifelong learning idea.
Centre of Gender Culture is a place where everyone, regardless of their sex, age, occupation, and social standing, can receive basic knowledge about gender issues, including information about such notions as human rights, gender-based discrimination, a broad spectrum of related issues – by means of participating in various individual, group and mass events.
The Centre is developing as an incubator of projects concerning gender, a training centre that prepares training staff for working in the area of assurance of gender rights as well as prevention of domestic violence and human trafficking.
One of the areas of the centre’s activity is establishing cross-cultural communication, developing a platform where foreign visitors of Kharkiv will be able to get information about gender-related transformations taking place in Ukraine, about Ukrainian female and feminist movement, about the activity of NGOs and about the activity of the first and only gender-related museum in Ukraine – Museum of Women’s and Gender History (Gendermuseum).
Resources of Centre of Gender Culture and Gendermuseum:
- a convenient room for team work (seminars, trainings, workshops, exhibitions, presentations, master-classes, meetings, focus-groups), equipped with a smart TV, 35 chairs, Wi-Fi access;
- a team of 5 experts on various issues: gender-related politics and education, women’s history, a broad spectrum of gender-related problems, financial literacy, information technologies, gender-responsive budgeting, interactive forms of education on gender etc.;
- partner organizations from Kharkiv and other Ukrainian cities working in the area of human rights and promotion of gender equality;
- a library of educational projects about gender-related issues and methods of educational work;
- a library on gender;
- a collection of Gendermuseum exhibits.
Opportunities of Centre of Gender Culture and Gendermuseum:
- organization and execution of educational events;
- mediation work for media;
- organization of tours to places in Kharkiv and Kharkiv oblast connected with women’s history;
- organization of excursions to Gendermuseum;
- organization of cooperation with Kharkiv colleges with functioning gender education centers and gender-related civic organizations;
- logistics of cultural programs.